I know this is a great opportunity. And I know how stupid it must seem to throw it away... but this final tournament... everyone else made it here by their own strength. Yet I'm standing here, and I don't even know how or why. I just can't take it.Mashirao Ojiro quitting the U.A. Sports Festival in "Smile, Prince of Nonsense Land!"
Mashirao is a young man of muscular build, and has short blond hair, swept to the front of his head. He has thin eyes with no lower eyelashes, and a thick, long tail with a hairy tip. Unlike the other students in his class, he wears pale gray sneakers with his school uniform instead of the brown dress shoes worn by everyone else, and the bottom button of his blazer he leaves casually undone.
Before the Provisional Hero License Exam Arc, his costume recieves a slight upgrade, now including navy blue fingerless gloves.
Mashirao has a very calm and noble attitude as well as a very deep sense of dignity, which prevents him from accepting results that he doesn't feel were earned with his own abilities. He is also described as a hard worker.
Along with a strong sense of dignity, Mashirao can be described as sheepish and bashful, not very often enjoying the spotlight and being easily embarrassed. However, has also been shown to be very sweet and humble, as he is a very caring and empathetic person when it comes to the emotions and well-being of other people. He is also very sensitive and soft-hearted, as his feelings be hurt very easily, such as when his room is called "normal" as it upsets him to some extent.
When something excites him, he wags his tail, in a similar fashion to a dog, though this is only ever seen in the manga.
Hand-to-Hand Combat: Mashirao mostly relies on hand-to-hand combat during battles and given his epithet, it can be assumed that he is a highly capable combatant. He also makes use of his Quirk during close quarters combat.
- Tornado Tail Dance (
尾 空 旋 舞Bikū Senbu?): Mashirao spins in mid-air, hitting anything around him with his tail. First used against Pony Tsunotori to destroy her remote-controlled horns during the Joint Training Arc.
- Fist of the Tail: Swamp Smack Spin (尾拳・沼田打旋風 Biken Nutauchi Senpū?): A defensive technique where Mashirao spins horizontally with his tail stretched out, generating enough force to repel anything close to him. First used against Juzo Honenuki in order to escape his Softening Quirk.
Battles & Events
- Mashirao's U.A. data is as follows:
- In the First Popularity Poll, Mashirao ranked 14th.
- In the second popularity poll, he ranked 12th.
- In the third popularity poll, he ranked 11th.
- His name contains the kanji for tail (尾?), white (白?), monkey (猿?), and man (夫?).
- Mashirao likes martial arts.
- With his birthday taking place in late May (two days before Yuga's), Mashirao is the second oldest student in Class 1-A, as everyone was 15 when they started U.A.'s school year in early April.
- Mashirao's English voice actor, Mike McFarland, also voices Ectoplasm.
- In Deku's hero analysis notes, Ojiro is referred to as the "Hero Department's King of Normal".
- He is also said to have a Tsukkomi disposition.
- (To the audience of the Sports Festival) "I know this is a great opportunity. And I know how stupid it must seem to throw it away... but this final tournament... everyone else made it here by their own strength. Yet I'm standing here, and I don't even know how or why. I just can't take it."
- ↑ My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 205.
- ↑ My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 206.
- ↑ My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 60.
- ↑ My Hero Academia Manga: Chapter 32 (p. 4).