Template:CharacterUAI'm not gonna be your worthless punching bag Deku forever... Kacchan. I'm... I'm the Deku who always does his best!
Izuku Midoriya (緑谷出久 Midoriya Izuku?), also known as Deku (デク Deku?), is the main protagonist of Boku no Hero Academia. Though originally born without a Quirk, he manages to catch the attention of the legendary hero All Might and has since become his close pupil and a student at U.A., making him the ninth user of the One for All Quirk.
Izuku has green eyes and black curly hair with green highlights. During his Junior High School days, he wore a black gakuran uniform with yellow buttons. In U.A., he wears the standard male uniform: a light grey suit over a white dress shirt and dark green dress pants, along with a red necktie that he doesn't tie properly, making it shorter than it should be. Izuku usually wears oversized red shoes. Though initially very skinny, Izuku has gained an array of well-developed muscles after his training with All Might.
Izuku's first Hero Costume is a dark green full-body unitard with a red belt, elbow pads, knee pads, gloves, and red boots. He also wears a mask with long ear-like protrusions that resemble All Might's haircut, and a mask with a smile on it.
During the Unforeseen Simulation Joint Arc, while his costume is being repaired, Izuku wears his gym clothes: a blue track suit with thick white lines over his upper body and legs, which form the letters "UA".
Izuku's second hero costume had when to a few changes, though it may have some of the original aspects it has now looks more sturdy and combat efficient in appearance.
After his fight with Shouto, the fingers on his right hand became a little deformed and he gains two scars on the sides of his hand. His right arm is further scared after his fight with Muscular, leaving various scars on his arm and bicep.
Izuku is a very timid, helpful and polite boy. Due to being bullied since childhood for being born without a Quirk, he is initially portrayed as insecure, being more reserved and not self-expressive, especially in front of Katsuki. However, after being accepted into U.A. and facing Katsuki during the Battle Trial, he has gradually become more confident and brave.
Izuku is also very diligent and strong willed. Since he greatly admires Heroes and has always aimed to be one, he has an habit of writing down in his notebooks all he knows about Heroes and their Quirks, including other U.A. students. Izuku is a caring person, and will never hesitate to rescue someone in danger, even if he knows he's not strong enough. Izuku has also shown to be selfless as when someone has a personal problem, he will always try to help them, even if its not his business. Izuku also has the tendency to overthink with anything that grabs his attention, which makes him start mumbling to himself a lot.
Quirk and Abilities
One For All (ワン・フォー・オール Wan Fō Ōru?): Izuku's Quirk grants him superhuman strength and greatly enhanced agility and mobility by spreading his power through his body. Though Izuku has yet to demonstrate superhuman speed, immense reflexes, and durability on the level of All Might, he has shown to be able to properly control a small percentage of One For All's power, using it to enhance his strength, speed and agility. He has also displayed a type of mental connection to the previous users of One For All. Recently, his reflexes seem to have improved with the use of One For All, and he is able to hold his ground against various incomming attacks during the Provisional Lisence exam.
- Detroit Smash (デトロイトスマッシュ Detoroito Sumasshu?): The same as All Might's move, except Izuku does it in the form of an uppercut.
- 5% Detroit Smash (5 パーセント デトロイトスマッシュ 5 Pāsento Detoroito Sumasshu?): Izuku activates One for All Full Cowl, then jumps into the air, and delivers an enhanced downward punch to the opponent. He has also used this move in the form a straightforward punch.
- 100% Detroit Smash (100 パーセント デトロイトスマッシュ 100 Pāsento Detoroito Sumasshu?): Izuku activates One For All at 100% and delivers a straightforward punch to the opponent.
- Delaware Smash (デラウエアスマッュ Derauea Sumasshu?): Izuku flicks his finger to create a powerful shock wave. Doing this fractures said finger, limiting the time he can use this move without gravely injuring himself up to 10 times.
- 1,000,000% Delaware Detroit Smash (1000000 パーセント デトロイトデラウエアスマッュ 1000000 Pāsento Derauea Detoroito Sumasshu?): Izuku uses One For All 100% that is also boosted by his adrenaline and delivers a powerful smack with incredible force that blasts the opponent away. This 100% adrenaline-enhanced move is powerful enough to overpower Muscular's Muscle Augmentation and incapacitate him.
- One For All Full Cowl (ワン・フォー・オール フルカウル Wan Fō Ōru Furukauru?): This technique allows Izuku to activate 5% of One For All throughout his body, letting the power course and flow through him instead of concentrating it in one location. According to Izuku, this technique gives him greater maneuverability. Activating this technique gives him enhanced strength, speed, mobility and agility. It also prevents him from breaking his bones when attacking.
- One For All 100%: A technique that allows Izuku to attack using the full power of One For All throughout his body.
Overall Abilities: Izuku has decent prowess and physical parameters above the ordinary student. However, he has improved his physical capabilities through training, enough to provide valuable assistance during the battle against Stain. Izuku usually relied on using his fists when attacking. However, Izuku has decided to shift his fighting style to a more kick based style since his legs are naturally stronger than his arms.
Keen Intellect: Izuku has proven to be exceptionally intelligent on many occasions. He has displayed keen skills of observation and analysis. It is usually his intelligence that has helped him more than his Quirk. Izuku is able to formulate strategies that takes advantage of the situation and uses his knowledge to creatively utilize the Quirks of other people to their full potential, such as working together with Tsuyu and Minoru to escape the villains at the flood zone in the USJ. Izuku also has extensive knowledge on Pro Heroes and their Quirks as well. Izuku's intelligence has allowed him to figure out One For All's mechanisms, allowing him to utilize the Quirk more efficiently in a short space of time. Gran Torino even compliments Izuku's intelligence, saying that Izuku is the type of person who thinks before he acts.
High Pain Tolerance: Izuku is shown many in many occasions that he is able to handle and bear with a lot of pain, such times are mostly because of the repercussion of over using his Quirk; however, he can still manage to move his body despite feeling excruciating pain.
- Costume Gamma: This is an upgrade to Izuku's second costume that Hatsume Mei created following Izuku's decision to change his fighting style, thus creating Shoot Style. The new additions consist of arm braces to support Izuku's arms in order to prevent further damage, and iron armor soles to enhance his kicking power.
- Izuku's name contains the kanji for "green" (緑?), "valley" (谷?), "coming out/being from a certain place" (出?) and "long ago" (久?).
- "久" is also homophonous to "nine" (九? usually read as Kyū), which refers to him being the ninth user of One For All.
- "Deku" (でく? lit. "one who can't achieve/do anything") is another reading of his name Izuku (出久?).
- Izuku's nickname, "Deku", was given to him by Katsuki when they were little in mockery.
- Later, Ochako finds the nickname inspiring because "Deku" gives off a feeling of "I can do it" (頑張る でく?).
- Izuku is student no.18 in Class 1-A.
- Izuku ranked 7th during the Entrance Exam and last for the Quirk Apprehension Test.
- In the First Popularity Poll, Izuku ranked 1st, which currently makes him the most popular character in the series.
- Izuku's favorite food is Katsudon.
- Izuku was first planned as an adult, as seen in the one-shot My Hero.
- Izuku shares his birthday with Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach, another Weekly Shōnen Jump series.
- Izuku ranks 4th in Class 1-A's Grades.
- Izuku appeared on Animation special of Saiki Kusuo no Ψ Nan.
- (To Toshinori Yagi) "I have to work harder than anyone else to make it! I'll never catch up otherwise...! I want to be like you...! Like you. The strongest hero."
- (To Katsuki Bakugou) "I'm not gonna be your worthless punching bag Deku forever... Kacchan. I'm... I'm the Deku who always does his best!"
- (To Shouto Todoroki) "Just trying to meet expectations! A smiling... dependable... cool hero... That's what I wanna be! That's why I'm giving it everything! For everyone! Your experiences... your determination... I can't even begin to imagine what all that's like... but... If you become number one without giving it your all... Then I don't think you're serious... about denying him everything! That's why I have to win! I have to surpass you!"
- (To Tenya Iida) "I-I've got a lot to say to you, but... That'll have to come later...! Because it's like All Might said... giving help that's not asked for... is what makes a true hero!"
- (To Toshinori Yagi) "I'll do my best! Whatever you say, All Might... I'll step up to the challenge! As long as you're by my side, I can do anything... That's how I feel, anyway!"
- (To Kouta Izumi) "If all the villains attacking tonight are on his level... everyone's in trouble. And they might be after us students. I need to tell Aizawa-sensei and the Pussycats what I know. If my actions can save any of them... Then I've gotta do something."